« Home | In Being The Rock & Roll Chef®.. » 

Saturday, March 25, 2006 

(Sir) Chip Znuff of Enuff Znuff

The Chipper. The White Rasta. Sir Chip. These are a few names I use for Chip Znuff, a couple of them which I coined myself after knowing and playing with him for a few years now.

Chip & his Enuff Znuff band are originally from Chicago’s south side (and I’m not), so I didn’t know much about them until a few years ago. They had some nice success in the 80’s, had a major label behind them, a top 40 hit (or two?), got video play on MTV, and picked up some pretty famous fans (like Howard Stern). But it would seem the rock & roll lifestyle took its toll, and although they still tour with some newer players, it’s probably fair to say the band has yet to recapture that success. Especially since one of the original members (Derek Frigo) recently died of a heroin overdose in Los Angeles.

HOWARD STERN. As any true Howard Stern fan knows, Stern is a SERIOUS Enuff Znuff and Chip Znuff fan. Stern has Chip on the air often, knows their songs, gets an obvious kick out of Chip, and talks openly about how Chip is “always baked – always smokin’ the weed.” Click here to visit Enuff Znuff's site and hear an MP3 audio clip of an 2005 interview from Stern’s show. As it's safe to say Stern has a much bigger audience than me, I hope it's also safe for me to confirm what Chip and Stern both discuss openly (the inspiration for my "White Rasta" title for him). And while that description may be true, it would be colossally unfair to let that stand as Chip's whole story.


SIR CHIP. This is another moniker I coined for him, speaking to his EXTREMELY melodic approach to bass, which I'm convinced was inspired by Paul McCartney's equally melodic bass parts on so many Beatles records (Sir Paul, Sir Chip - now you know). Chip is the one bassist I work with who can get away with so much movement inside a song (also known as "busy"). If it were anyone else, I'd tell them to reel it in, and simple out RIGHT F***ING NOW! But Chip's playing is so musical, so spot-on-in-time & tone, so creative, it's hard to discourage his natural instincts. FYI, what's really interesting is when he plays with our Lonesome Halos band (Americana, country/rock genre). Most people would have a hard time understanding how a hard-rocking bassist would work in this format, but to my ears, it's great. And did I mention what a melodic player he is?

MEETING THE CHIPPER. I first met Chip a few years back, playing at a 50th birthday party of a former Enuff Znuff associate (Manager? Producer? Unclear...). The place is called Wise Fools in Chicago, a pretty nice mid-sized room in Lincoln Park. I'd grabbed some "usual suspects" to get through the gig (including a great chick drummer, Theresa Drda). Unbeknownst to me, Chip was a guest, hanging in the back, wearing his perpetual funky floppy hat & hippie sunglasses. Chip or no Chip, for whatever reason, it was a good night for me.

Did you ever have a day (or night) when you simply can do no wrong? Kinda like driving through the city during rush hour, and every light you hit is green? Speaking in pure musician terms (setting aside business for a moment), the pinnacle is this: no disconnect between thought & action. You think it, you play it, absolutely no difference between the two. That was me that night, and Chip was witness to it. I'm hoping to have at least a few more musical nights like that before I die.

Anyway, after a set or two, I walked over to introduce myself, and Chip says “I love the way you play, bro.” I thanked him, and asked if he’d like to sit in with the band. After peeking at the setlist, he picked one: “Polk Salad Annie.” Chip definitely brought the “star” vibe onstage with him; pedaling the low E string with one hand (repeating one note over and over), smoking a cigarette with the other, sunglasses intact. Cool cool, daddy-o. And Theresa Drda loved every second of it - what drummer wouldn't?

DRIVING THE DRUMMER. Another thing that’s unusual about Chip as a musician: He oftentimes drives the drummer, which is counter to most bands. Here’s the typical live band structure: The band leader calls the tunes, and a lot of times the tempo, too. After that, it’s the drummer’s job to drive the band, with everyone else falling in with them. However, with a player like Chip, who has extraordinary time, tone & attack, he’s usually leading the drummer. And if there’s any drummer who can’t lock in with Chip… NEXT!

THE HUMAN ANTENNAE. One last thing I've observed about Chip's playing: He's a scary-good quick study, (damn near) a one-take guy in the studio, and has incredible recall of tunes, even after not playing/hearing them for a couple of years. In my world, that's the kind of player you want on your project, as there's a minimal learning curve, and you sound tight right away (this is not unnoticed by others; Chip gets hired on world tours by bands like Missing Persons, or the original drummer from Guns & Roses; He's also hired frequently for recording sessions by music producers, most recently having done some tracks with an artist called Twista). But why is this?

I have a theory I've never heard anywhere else, which I'll share now. I truly believe some musicians (like Chip, and I've met a few others along the way, including Lee Sklar and Jim Keltner) have evolved beyond listening with their ears. Their whole body almost becomes an antenna, soaking up the song, anticipating changes, intuitively locking in. It's an unconscious, streaming process that's subtle yet powerful - they listen with their bodies. Perhaps that explains why Chip can maintain his "White Rasta" lifestyle, but not be subject to - musically, at least - the stereotypical behavior those "Just Say No" boneheads would have us believe.

VH1 REALITY SHOW. Just this week (Monday afternoon), I got a call from Chip: “Elliot!” (His nickname for me, referencing my guitar playing similarity to Elliot Easton of the Cars, a huge compliment). “Elliot, I need some more shirts this week - by Thursday.” Among other things, I design t-shirts, including this most recent one. Turns out Chip & what's left of the original members are taping a reality show this week in L.A. for VH1. I don't have all the details, but it may be called "Band On The Run?"
So I made some calls, found a shirt printer in L.A. who said they could meet the deadline; I tweaked out the image, and they got the shirts on time.

MAGNANIMOUS. That’s a word you don’t see or hear all that much, especially when applied to musicians. But I think it suits Chip. Most folks seem to like Chip pretty well, he's universally nice to people, and he seems to be fairly nonplussed about who he knows. I didn't know he was pals with Howard Stern until last year; and I find out last week he's pals with the president of VH1 (the reason they're doing the reality show this week). Now THAT'S what I call cool, folks.

ENUFF! Well, that's enough of this (for now). But when Chip gets back into town, we've got some other stuff happening - did you know Chip LOVES to cook? Stay tuned...

Chip Znuff Photo: Leigh Hanlon.

NEXT UP: Chef Calvin Woods Of Calvin's BBQ