« Home | Creedence Again on WGN Morning News | August 13, 2009 » | Creedence Again on WGN Morning News | August 13, 2009 » | The Last Gunner Standing? » | Woodstock 40th Anniversary Tribute Show » | Dr. Andrea Orfanakis For Nashcab » | The Rock & Roll Kitchen® Live | December 2008 » | Interview With Hartley Peavey @ 2009 NAMM Show » | Baby Back Blues BBQ | Pulled Pork Label Design » | Creedence Again | 5 Song Sampler » | The Ray Kroc of BBQ? » 

Monday, August 31, 2009 

Digital Piracy Reality

I have to note how stealing art (music) seems to be as nonchalant these days as buying a cup of coffee. Case in point: Someone recently called me to ask if I had a CD from our tribute band - some friend of theirs "wanted to burn a copy." Hmmm. No mention of "can he BUY a copy" whatsoever.

It's truly notable how people like that (just about everyone, really) have no inkling of how much time & money it cost to produce even a CD of cover tunes. It's really no different than someone saying "hey - I like that lawnmower you bought, I want to use it whenever I want, without paying you a dime." I wonder how THAT would go over? And so, here's what I think:

Anyone who is hoping to make money from digital content (music, movies, software) is out of touch with reality - there's simply no way to protect it. More, you can count on it being pirated/copied/downloaded almost from the minute it goes live. The ONLY company I'm aware of who figured out how to address that is Digidesign (Pro Tools). You can't run their program without having their hardware interface. So, although you can get the software anywhere, they know you have to buy at least SOMETHING to use their product (smart).