« Home | Marty Robbins Live TV | Faleena From El Paso » | Bad CCR Tributes » | David Polk Music | Recorded At Kenmore Live Studio » | Top 5 "Big Game" Recipes from Kenmore Live Studio » | Chuck Berry Collapses Onstage In Chicago » | 2010 Top Ten Highlights » | The Future Of On-Camera Talent Is Here - Now What? » | Marty Robbins | El Paso Live » | The Congregation | Quick Pan | Chicago Recording C... » | The Congregation at Chicago Recording Company | De... » 

Sunday, January 16, 2011 

RIP Myspace & Good Riddance!

Although I realize that they were among the first social media sites, and quite a few folks had nice success with them (like Fallout Boy from Chicago), my 2 bits on Myspace:  S-U-C-K. And now the smell of death surrounds them (to quote one of my fave southern rock bands). I think I read they cut their staff by 50% recently? What took so long?

Their site always navigated like a rotting pig; the pages always loaded real clunky/hinky; lots of banner ads; I remember them pulling down one of my cover band sites for no good reason (twice); zero customer support.
Most recently, I was trying to recover a password for a band site I haven't used for a few years to establish first use with another issue- and you wouldn't believe what they ask you to do for that: 

1. Send us a salute! (i.e., write your name, myspace account, etc. on a piece of paper, take a picture of it & email it! WTF?!?!?!)
2. So, I did that; after a few weeks, I start getting some various contradictory emails from some nameless support auto responder, which eventually tells me to "click the link for an encrypted generated password," which I tried several times - and kept getting an error message. 

3. After some back & forth "we're aware of the problem and are working on it" type messages, the auto email cycle started over from the beginning!

4. Finally, after some progressively pissed-off emails from me to them, I'm then told via email that ALL the band members need to do this ludicrous "salute" nonsense. Great, except - it was always a one-man band anyway! After that, I wished them luck looking for new jobs when myspace folds up & blows away, and walked away from that mess once & for all. Can you say Facebook?