« Home | Exposure Room » | Dooce.com! » | Custom Pumpkins & Halloween Highlight Reel » | Halloween Is The Best Holiday! » | Say The Name Speed Game | Baby Back Blues BBQ » | Dale Bozzio Of Missing Persons & Totally Chipotle ... » | Cockpit - Mission To Rock (lahoma) » | The future host of "Rock & Roll Kitchen, Jr." (Che... » | Brendan's Cross | Black Caddy Bumper 4 R&R Kitchen » | Brendan's Cross | "Shine" Video » 

Sunday, October 26, 2008 

Steven Adler of GNR Gives The Rock & Roll Kitchen A Plug

NOW THAT VH1'S "CELEBRITY REHAB" SEASON 2 HAS BEGUN AIRING THIS WEEK, I'M STARTING to get calls from people who know I know Steven Adler of Guns N Roses, telling me they've seen him on that show. If you think about it, that program is pretty much a dead-nut conversation starter of (true or false): "Is any publicity good publicity?" I mean, the whole show is built around being screwed up & famous - I guess that helps some viewers feel like they're not that bad off, compared to them? And even though it reveals the worst in a person, the power of TV is also in full force, which will undoubtedly increase his visibility worldwide.

If you ever have a chance to talk with Adler, he'll let you know pretty fast that 1. Every dream he had with music came true, in a big way; 2. He's tried to kill himself "so many times"; 3. What he really wants most before he dies is a reunion with the original Gunners - even if it's only all of them being in the same room & chatting.

Now that he's putting it all out there on national TV, I don't think I'm giving anything away by revealing that, during his visit to the studio last fall, all the behavior he's described on VH1 was in full force here. Which really sucked. As I once told him to his face: It doesn't matter who you are, what you did or how much money you have - if you're passing out with a lit cigarette in your hand in somebody's house, there's NOBODY who's okay with that.

That said, I had many many many opportunities to videotape Steven in some less-than-ideal moments (and I was encouraged to), but somehow felt like it was a violation of trust. We all know rock stars are no angels - especially ones with drug problems - but I didn't want to be the snaky worm who splattered these moments all over the internet. And maybe one day I'll share some of those moments, which were both sad and funny at the same time. But for now, here's a clip of him giving The Rock & Roll Kitchen a shout out, which shows (I think) his true, sweet nature.



Labels: , , , ,