« Home | Digital Piracy Reality » | Creedence Again on WGN Morning News | August 13, 2009 » | Creedence Again on WGN Morning News | August 13, 2009 » | The Last Gunner Standing? » | Woodstock 40th Anniversary Tribute Show » | Dr. Andrea Orfanakis For Nashcab » | The Rock & Roll Kitchen® Live | December 2008 » | Interview With Hartley Peavey @ 2009 NAMM Show » | Baby Back Blues BBQ | Pulled Pork Label Design » | Creedence Again | 5 Song Sampler » 

Thursday, September 17, 2009 

The 1990 Honda Civic | 250k Miles

Although I keep it on the DL ("downlow") because of its VERY rough exterior, I bartered some design work with a client a few years back for their company car - a 1990 Honda Civic. I didn't think much of it at the time - I mean, it didn't really cost me anything BUT time - but as time went on, it started to amaze me about what an amazing piece of automotive technology that car is. Just last week, it went over the 250,000 mile mark.

Did I mention I barely put any maintenance or work into it? I've never had the oil changed since I've had it (it does burn a little, not bad); it's never had a tuneup. I've replaced the muffler, alternator and brake pads & rotors - that's it. Hell, it even got stolen once! After I got it back from the City of Chicago auto pound (also crooks, in my opinion, but that's another story), the only thing missing was the sun visors (!?!?!?!).

Unfortunately, although the engine & mechanicals are amazing, the body is quickly returning to its rusty roots, and I know I'll have to get a different ride soon. I guess I'm wondering what kind of vehicle could possibly match this little Honda for mileage, durability & low maintenance? Viva La 90 Honda Civic!