« Home | Full Moon In The French Quarter » | The Inimitable Hartley Peavey » | Johnnie's Drive In & Elvis Presley » | Rahm Emanual Gets Bounced Off The Election Ballot » | I Guess I Like Wearing Women's Clothes? » | Leon Russell | A Song For You (live, 1971) » | Meet The Whole Fam Damily » | RIP Myspace & Good Riddance! » | Marty Robbins Live TV | Faleena From El Paso » | Bad CCR Tributes » 

Saturday, February 19, 2011 

Leroy Jones | Down On Bourbon Street

This may well prove to be the highlight from last night in the French Quarter... I was walking down Bourbon Street for the first time, taking in all the sights, when I see a well-dressed guy sauntering smoothly across the adjacent street, carrying a case (I guessed rightly it was trumpet). He was accompanied by a woman which turned out to be his wife, also carrying a case of some sort. 

I stopped them & asked them where they were headed to play, and he told me they'd just finished playing at Preservation Hall.

For whatever reason, there was something about this guy that said STAR. As I told them - he seemed to have a "shine" about that spoke volumes. Definitely a leader, not a follower. I couldn't help but ask, which made them smile: "Are you a star down around here or something?"

I introduced myself, we exchanged cards, talked a little music business (i.e., what DO bands make around here?), he told me to Google him, which I did. 

And here is the (prophetic?) video of Leroy Jones, playing & singing great, performing "Down On Bourbon Street" with Harry Connick, Jr. I couldn't resist adding a second real-cool video I found on the Preservation Hall site, too