« Home | The Rock & Roll Kitchen, Jr. » | Fortunate Son | Live Video » | Totally Chipotle Redux » | Deja Vu (All Over Again) » | Creedence Again Live Video » | Totally Chipotle® - Get Addicted. » | The BIG World Of Tribute Bands » | Hank Williams Writes Again?!? » | Mexican Chefs Who DON'T Cook Mexican » | Chef Calvin Woods of Calvin's BBQ » 

Monday, August 07, 2006 

Lonesome Halos

"Being Good Gets Mighty Lonesome." Haven't yet touched on my "serious" musical project here until now, but I'm just about ready to start making a new push with it. The Halos features original songs by me and others I feel are top quality; songs which have the most potential to make serious, "buy a house" kind of cash in the long run. In the short run, however, it is the least marketable music project I have going.

Based on what myself and countless other musicians have tried before (the typical "let's record some tunes, make a CD, see who bites, etc."), this time is different. In addition to the application of some solid marketing techniques, chalk up video editing, which - in my opinion - is a huge advantage. The other leg-up: I've turned off my "give-a-shitter" on who takes the spotlight with vocals.

Although I can sing just fine (if it's the right song), and have served as frontman tons of times, I also know I'm a good, but not great, singer. That's a whole different conversation, but in my experience, the thing that separates good singers from great is PITCH. The great ones are always in tune, every note. After that, add phrasing, texture, etc.

And so, I've been working with some very talented, photogenic, young and FUN musicians who I have no problem handing over frontman duties to. Another big reason it's fine with me: Among other stuff, they'll be singing songs I wrote. FYI, in the music biz, songwriters drive the industry. Without the songs, there is no engine in the car. Songwriters make the most money from a hit songs, along with (depending upon their deal structures) publishers and producers. The performers get paid, of course, and their stardom can lead them other revenue (endorsements, movie parts, touring $, etc.), but the writers are king in the business.

NEXT ON LONESOME HALOS: "The Way To Heaven" and "I Melt With You."