« Home | Dale Bozzio's Consalvi Foods » | Halloween Industry Pioneer? You Decide... » | "If Cats Could Talk... » | Foodie Flakes vs. Rock & Roll Scum » | A Tale Of Target & Teenagers - With A Twist » | The 1990 Honda Civic | 250k Miles » | Digital Piracy Reality » | Creedence Again on WGN Morning News | August 13, 2009 » | Creedence Again on WGN Morning News | August 13, 2009 » | The Last Gunner Standing? » 

Monday, November 16, 2009 

Copycats, Ripoffs and Shameless Followers

I was recently contacted by yet another person who found it easier to copy something I'd done, vs. actually creating something original themselves. Although this person didn't know it was me - he thought he was soliciting a show from an online property I own - he was looking for a gig for his band (I will not give him the luxury of a mention here, he won't be getting any promo push from my side). Here it is:

This joker actually auditioned for my tribute band nearly two years ago. Although he isn't the best drummer around by any stretch, he was pretty enthusiastic/watchable; and my tribute doesn't require the best drummer, making him acceptable for the job. When things didn't pop for shows as quickly as we'd all hoped, the guy sent me a shitty email, telling me not to contact him again. Hmmmm....

So imagine my train of thought when I get an email from him, pushing forth the regular PR spin about his tribute "playing to packed rooms," "Chicago's premier tribute," etc. The fact is, I'm now directly responsible for THREE CCR tribute bands in the Chicago market. Not sure what that fact means (although I am sure it doesn't mean any extra money in my pocket), but here's the funniest part: Plans & actions are already underway with the musicians in my tribute to move away from being a tribute band! We've already hit our goals as live performers - we are knocking out every audience, every time - and now we're focusing on how to transfer whatever chemistry we have working with cover tunes to original tunes. A deliciously fun challenge, actually.

And so... assuming things go well along these new lines, these other jokers actually will be the premier CCR tributes, doing their damndest to catch up to an empty wagon with cardboard cutouts waving in the wind - we will have vacated the throne towards greener pastures...

Labels: