« Home | I Was A Female Rock Star » | East Nashville Tennessee » | Brad Cotter | The 'Bama Bad Boy » | Hard Times (Harder Not To Whine?) or.... ADAPT OR ... » | Nashville Tennessee Y'All » | Dale Bozzio & Lady Gaga » | SCREW AMERICAN IDOL!!!! » | Corporations VS. Artists » | YouTube.com Ad Revenue Sharing Wackiness » | Stone Age Vs. Digital Age » 

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 

The 'Bama Bad Boy (Part 2) | Brad Cotter

After driving to Chicago to do a sold-out show at the Woodstock Opera House last Saturday (big big fun), I trucked it back to Nashville to finish up some things, and rolled over to my pal Tim Beattie's east Nashville place for some food & drinks.

It was a pleasant surprise to see Brad Cotter there - they'd been shooting some "unplugged" live music video earlier that day. I think one reason Tim is good friends with Brad & myself: I see some distinct similarities between us. Another thing: Brad is ONE funny dude, and we laughed our asses off.

Among other things we discussed, I pointed out that there are many many many folks in this world who would love nothing better than to hang out with some seasoned industry veterans like Brad, Tim & myself, get a "peek behind the curtain," get their input on an original song or two, play some tunes, and hear some of these very very funny and (sadly for this piece), completely unrepeatable things that were some of the highlights of the night. The music industry may totally suck a lot of the time, but one thing that makes it somewhat bearable: the musicians themselves are some of the most entertaining humans on the planet.

I will share this "insiders' secret" with the world: as with most of the musicians and creative people I know, most of the conversation covered "been there/done that" scenarios, online marketing, social media, and blogs (including this one). Translated: How to make money from one's art. But actual discussion of the music itself is probably the smallest part of the dialogue.

I will say that Brad is one tough sell for "outside the box" concepts, and he can point/counterpoint with the best of them. I can imagine there's not much he hasn't seen, pitched or been pitched by some very savvy, slick, sharp operators, so it's hard not to be cynical in the middle of very cynical business (again, he reminds me of me).

That said, I'm thinking the trick is this: In a way, you have to forget your past success (or near-success); you have to stop beating yourself up and 2nd-guessing why something that seemed like a sure solid thing melted like cheap chocolate in your hand; You have to have the vision & courage to reinvent yourself. In Brad's case, I'm thinking he needs to acknowledge his true nature as an artist and person.

From what I'm discovering, it seems the whole gospel/Christian/Nashville Star perception/branding for Brad Cotter has been like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole - it's not who he really is. If Brad had enjoyed more success in that genre, I also think it was only going to be a matter of time before he lit the dynamite, bit the hand that fed him and blew it all up anyway - but on a bigger level. What's that quote from Benjamin Franklin?: "A house divided unto itself cannot stand?"

If I were his PR agent, I'd definitely push the darker/funnier/authentic side of this artist; and I'd focus on getting him on camera ASAP, interviewing other stars (he'd be great at it). Assuming he got some traction as an on-camera personality with the right format, I'm thinking getting folks out to pay for his shows, selling CDs, merch, etc. would be a slam dunk. (are you listening, Mr. Cotter?!?!?!?) Maybe we'll even see him again tonight for some video/cooking/music at Beattie's...

Labels: , , ,

"Something that seemed like a sure solid thing melted like cheap chocolate in your hand."

Love this phrase!

Post a Comment