« Home | Nashville Tennessee Y'All » | Dale Bozzio & Lady Gaga » | SCREW AMERICAN IDOL!!!! » | Corporations VS. Artists » | YouTube.com Ad Revenue Sharing Wackiness » | Stone Age Vs. Digital Age » | The King Of Chicago » | Cheata, er... Tiger Woods Morals Clause » | Copycats, Ripoffs and Shameless Followers » | Dale Bozzio's Consalvi Foods » 

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 

Hard Times (Harder Not To Whine?) or.... ADAPT OR DIE!

Being in the businesses I'm in (food & music), I am in contact with many talent buyers, marketing directors, venue owners, etc. around the country. Even in a good economy - which I haven't seen in a long long long time - it's never easy getting budgets approved. These days, it's like a broken record: "Our sales our down... our sponsorships have dwindled..." and on and on.

It's hard to stay positive when you hit that wall so often - hard to keep your spirits up. It's almost like you have to have some kind of shield to prevent yourself from getting sucked into that dark void of uncertainty, stress, fear and doubt. Beyond all that, there's one thing I know for sure has to happen if things aren't working like they used to: Adapt or die.

The other thing I know: Nobody wants to hear anyone else whine or complain about how rough things are - WE ALREADY KNOW!!! If someone is down in the dirt (not uncommon), folks are much more inclined to help if that person is doing - or at least trying - to change things. I know I've been down in the dirt more than a few times, and I've also learned not to share that with folks - at least, only with a tight pal or two.

And so, with names removed to protect their privacy (even though this person blasted out this email to everyone on her list, including me - I haven't spoken to her in years), here's an example of an email I strongly recommend NOT being sent. It's also hard to be sympathetic to someone who's been living quite well for years and years, and only recently hit hard times. What about the folks who haven't lived comfortably their whole lives? And what about that wacky "Democratic state-only" proviso? SNAP OUT OF IT!!!!


In the last year and a half if have been so stressed that I was thinking "if I don't get a heart attack from this now, I may never get one".
My house was in foreclosure in 2008 and now I am again past due on my mortgage payments and the bank notified me that they are hiring a lawyer to foreclose (although this will take 10 months because the foreclosure courts are so backed up).
My business ******* which I started in 1991 has been really tough. Our sales have never been this bad. I used to have 5 employees and now I am down to 2. I am the only one that knows how to give quotes so I do all the estimates. I also have to go out and see clients, pick up supplies, pay bills (when I can), drop off signs (to avoid paying the delivery services), check to sure everyone has paid us and much more. I am really late on my payments to the IRS and I owe them a lot of money.
My business has been for sale for about a year. The biggest problem is men who want to buy it who also have kids in college and in this economy they could never afford to do it.
I have decided to sell my house that I love. But I live in such a great area that I am confident it will sell. I am going to move down to Florida where I have 2 good friends - Dave **** and Walter *****.
I was planning to get a pre made house called the iHouse, see it at http://claytonihouse.com/ but you have to get an empty lot with sewer, water, electricity and whatever else you need. The iHouse costs about $103,000 installed on your lot. It has solar panels and every thing is environmental good. They will help you find the lot. I was thinking of moving to Albuquerque or North Carolina. I ruled out North Carolina because it is a Republican State. As for Albuquerque would want to rent an apartment first to see where I want to live and then I would have to move 2 times, which is a pain, plus I don't know anyone there.
Then I thought of Dave and Walter. When I told Dave about it he said why don't you just buy a house down here. They have had so many foreclosures that houses are selling as low as $50,000! That would be much better with the money I will have left over after the house sells and pay off the IRS. I could add solar panels and fix the house up.
I did a search for Democratic Cities in Florida and they are all in the southern region, just where I want to be. Now if I can only find a neighborhood where people care about saving the earth. I searched for environmental groups, and there are lots of groups so I feel good about moving there although I doubt I will ever find a block like the one I live in now. It feels like a big family, in large part to Debbie & Pete *****
So many things are up in the air right now, but I am very hopeful that this will change.
Love to you all!
M****