« Home | Stone Age Vs. Digital Age » | The King Of Chicago » | Cheata, er... Tiger Woods Morals Clause » | Copycats, Ripoffs and Shameless Followers » | Dale Bozzio's Consalvi Foods » | Halloween Industry Pioneer? You Decide... » | "If Cats Could Talk... » | Foodie Flakes vs. Rock & Roll Scum » | A Tale Of Target & Teenagers - With A Twist » | The 1990 Honda Civic | 250k Miles » 

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 

YouTube.com Ad Revenue Sharing Wackiness

One of my videos has gotten a fair amount of views - over 40,000. It's a piece highlighting the Halloween & Party Show, which also features a tune written & performed by me & some pals.

In the world of online videos, 40k views isn't really a big deal, but apparently it's big enough for YouTube.com to pay attention to - they recently contacted me & invited me to apply for an ad revenue sharing structure.

After going blind trying to figure out what the real payoffs would be - and some quick research around the net highlighted grumblings about other sites like Revver.com paying much better - I still don't really know what the YouTube.com/Producer percentage splits really are. I saw a piece on the CBS Evening News about a year ago with Katie Couric; according to them, YT was paying between $15 - $20 per thousand views to selected popular producers. Which means they're charging double that to their advertisers...

What I do know is this: I had several back & forths with them (which I will post at some point) which reflected what a corporate, non-sensical, cumbersome entity YT (Google) really can be. One of my responses to them asked the question in response to one of their rejection claims: As the writer & copyright owner of all content on my video, can you actually be requiring that I need a contract & permission statement between myself & myself?!?!? Unbelievable.

Here's the vid: