« Home | That Metal Show with Steven Adler & Chip Znuff » | The Congregation » | Stardust video | Nat King Cole » | Nat King Cole | Route 66 » | Brains & Genius | Barry Krause Of Suite Partners » | The Dog Of Nashville 2nd Annual Sausage Fest » | Kenmore Live | Induction Ranges vs. Gas » | John Lilly at Duke's (Chicago) August 21st 2010 » | Will It Blend? » | CCR - The Original Jam Band? » 

Sunday, December 12, 2010 

Women's Cosmetics | WTF?!?!?!?

Although I'm supposed to be on camera doing some cooking demos tomorrow & Tuesday in downtown Chicago, there apparently is no hair/makeup person scheduled? In my world, if there are cameras, lights, sound, food stylist and director - that's a TV shoot, folks, and talent needs makeup to look their best. 

And that includes me - hey, I'm not proud. I've worn makeup many times before for various on-stage/on-camera stuff, and I'll take anything I can get to come off well on camera at this point in my life. And so, I took it upon myself to buy some basic makeup so I won't look like a complete wintertime ghost under the lights, and guess what? That stuff is crazy overpriced expensive!!!!!!



I picked up three small containers of basic stuff, plus an applicator, and at JC Penneys, and guess what: $120.00 all-in. DAMN. I suppose I have a newfound respect for all the women who feel they need that stuff, plus an even greater disgust for the companies who apparently have a lock on keeping the prices inflated on what probably cost a fraction of what I paid to make it. 

I'm going to take a wild guess & say this: I bet the cosmetics industry is no different than food manufacturers - they probably use the same factories to crank out pretty much the same stuff, slap different labels & packaging on them, and then inflate the hell out of the prices, depending upon how much they spend on their marketing.

I guess one thing they charge more for: the makeup buzzards floating around some of the bigger stores in the malls - they have to get paid, right? You don't see them in Walgreen's, that's for sure....