« Home | Canaries In The Coalmine » | Chicago Summer Dance Series w/ Chicago Afrobeat Pr... » | Big Brother HD Style » | Space Hogs » | Never Piss Off The Chef! » | Ground-Level Mile High Club (or) FU American Airli... » | Steven Adler's REAL Appetite » | 5 Guys Burgers - WTF?!?!?! » | The Holy Grail Of Video & Photo | B & H Photo » | RIP Ronnie James Dio » 

Thursday, August 12, 2010 

CCR - The Original Jam Band?

Lord knows I've played my share of the Creedence Clearwater Revival catalogue; with the exception of how of some of the tunes have nearly identical tempos, keys and overall feel ("which one is this one?" you sometimes ask yourself, trying to match the correct guitar riff with the corrent tune)... those tunes rarely get old to me- which is the sign of truly great music in my book. 

Beyond that, there's something else notable about the CCR catalogue: They have a BUNCH of tunes with only ONE CHORD. Long tunes, too. Which means (although I have no use for these "jam bands" that go on forever, which bore the hell out of me) it could be argued that Creedence was one of the original jam bands.

Speaking as a guitarist, I might even serve up this thought: If you're good enough to keep a 9 minute song interesting & moving along regardless of extended guitar solos... you may be a much better musician than you or anyone else gives you credit. KEEP ON CHOOGLIN, BABY!