« Home | Copycats, Ripoffs and Shameless Followers » | Dale Bozzio's Consalvi Foods » | Halloween Industry Pioneer? You Decide... » | "If Cats Could Talk... » | Foodie Flakes vs. Rock & Roll Scum » | A Tale Of Target & Teenagers - With A Twist » | The 1990 Honda Civic | 250k Miles » | Digital Piracy Reality » | Creedence Again on WGN Morning News | August 13, 2009 » | Creedence Again on WGN Morning News | August 13, 2009 » 

Sunday, December 13, 2009 

Cheata, er... Tiger Woods Morals Clause

Although I could care less about all the press with Tiger Woods, I did hear two good jokes (the first is in the title of this post); the second is this:

Q. How is Tiger Woods similar to a baby seal?
A. They both get clubbed by blonde Norwegians.

Back to the other... the guy isn't a politician or spiritual leader, so nobody can claim he's done anything contrary to what his job description is supposed to be. He's a jock, he didn't get busted for animal cruelty or drugs or paying for hookers or betting on the game, or anything of the sort. He's a young billionaire, so why would anyone be surprised about all this?

After seeing he's getting most or all of his ads pulled recently, it made me think about something I've experienced myself with a corporate client: the (dreaded?) morals clause. Although it's most likely standard boilerplate language for any actor, athlete or musician endorsing a brand, it gives the sponsor an "out" if/when their spokesperson gets a little too jiggy wid it.

I'd have to dig up my contract for the exact language, but as I recall, it says stuff about the contract being nullified if the person is convicted of crimes, exhibits behavior detrimental to the sponsor's image, etc. You know - the fun stuff celebs usually get away with.

Remember Pee Wee Herman (Paul Rubens) getting busted molesting himself in a theater years ago? My first thought was this: CBS probably had the muscle to prevent that news from getting out if they'd really wanted to, and kept showing his TV show. But I was thinking it may have given them an out, without fulfilling any contractual obligations or payments, based on some kind of morals clause. I wonder if they make a shopping mall Santa Clause sign a clause?

Nice brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Post a Comment