« Home | Never Piss Off The Chef! » | Ground-Level Mile High Club (or) FU American Airli... » | Steven Adler's REAL Appetite » | 5 Guys Burgers - WTF?!?!?! » | The Holy Grail Of Video & Photo | B & H Photo » | RIP Ronnie James Dio » | Is It Really Who You Know? » | I Don't Really Like You - I Just Want To Make Mone... » | The Bane Of My Existence » | Don't Taze Me Man! » 

Friday, July 02, 2010 

Space Hogs

Having recently gotten into the HD video game with my acquisition of a Canon VIXIA HFS 100 (amazing little camera, when you think about everything it can do), I'll say this to everyone making the leap from standard def to HD: get ready for some MASSIVE files to wrangle getting your video online or onto a DVD.

Although I'm no expert who can tell you about "true" HD, (uncompressed vs. compressed formats/ratios, etc.), I know a 16GB memory card filled with footage can turn into 100GB after it's transferred onto a hard drive; and you'd better have an equally generous amount of RAM on your computer if you have any hopes of managing those huge-ass files. EXAMPLE: I did a video shoot for Schaefer's Wines in Skokie, IL a few weeks ago, and foolishly thought I'd be able to smoothly transfer the footage from my camera to the manager's hard drive immediately after the shoot - wrong. Although the footage did indeed look & sound dynamite, my beginner's status with HD video prevented me from letting them know what they were facing with their desire to edit that footage.

Since then - after many conversations with other video editors, looking all over the Internet, etc., I've figured out some things on my own, plus stumbled upon some "trailer park" workarounds you won't find with an online search, all because of one thing: Anyone shooting "serious" video right now who isn't using HD is pretty much producing obsolete content. Although I'm a big believer that it's all about what's happening onscreen - great is great and lame is lame, regardless of the production value - standard def will be looking mighty rough indeed in the coming years, compared to all the HD stuff; Shooting HD now ensures at least a little longevity for that footage to look good.