« Home | Good Friday Whippings, Y'all » | "About 20 Years Ahead Of Its Time..." » | Tonight You Drink.... » | Steven Adler's "My Appetite For Destruction" 2010 ... » | San Franciso Time Machine Movie » | Radar Love by Golden Earring » | Creedence Again At Woodstock Opera House » | Stupid Should Hurt! » | Canadian's Women's Gold Hockey Winners Dustup » | The 'Bama Bad Boy (Part 2) | Brad Cotter » 

Sunday, April 04, 2010 

Memphis Vs. Nashville

Although it's been awhile, I have performed The Rock & Roll Kitchen in both Memphis & Nashville (Southern Women's Shows). Although me & my bandmates had fun in both cities, I do recall being reprimanded for saying "damn" over the mic, and asked not to make any references to drinking booze. You heard that right, folks.

After visiting Memphis again a few days ago, I had more time to go exploring, chatting to folks about their picks for what's best around town, etc. Without having the luxury of any real time spent in either city, here's what I noticed right away: the separation between the haves & have nots is much greater in Memphis.

The stress/tension level of the cops seems a lot higher in Memphis; it's edgier, greasier, has more poverty, and the sense of desperation with the poor (mostly black) locals oozes off of them harder than Nashville. For the record, I much prefer the edgier/less phony environment of Memphis, which I also believe results in much more authentic art/music/food there.

And of course, there's the amazing Mississippi river - it's awe-inspiring to witness, I've never seen anything else quite like it.

Labels: , ,

Reminds of a how a writer once described New York as Metropolis by day, but Gotham City by night.

Post a Comment